Tougatta dolls are thought to be the oldest family members of the Traditional school. They are easily recognized by their narrow, columnar body shapes, tapering at the shoulders to a head that is wider than the rest of the doll, and more angular than round. They originated in the Tougatta Onsen in the Miyagi Prefecture, subsequently being produced also at Aone Onsen, and the cities of Sendai, and Izumi.
Collector's note – characteristics/painting style:
Most Tougatta dolls have bangs split in two with side fringes, thin narrow eyes, and a cat type nose. Several have paintings of chrysanthemums, (Kiku), plums (Ume), and iris (Ayame), usually in very stylized designs. The dolls decorated with plum branches and blossoms are associated with Aone Onsen. There is also a group which have ‘banded’ bodies. These are decorated in a circular-style painting known as Rokoru Moyo, which is done as the doll is turned on the lathe. Here again, the head is a squeeze-in type, but cannot be turned to produce a ‘squeak’. The head is covered with a painting of a chrysanthemum.
NOTE: The short pair of dolls are interpretations of Ebisu (God of the Sea), and Daikoku (God of the Harvest), both made by Sugawara, Satoshi, who apprenticed under Tougatta Master Sugawara, Shoshichi.
Asakura Kinu, b. 1918
Asakura Eiji, Master
Midorikawa Masando, b. 1926
Sato Tetsuro, Grand Master